Cristiano Ronaldo will not accept the Football Association’s charge of misconduct after he allegedly slapped a phone out of the hand of an Everton supporter last season.
The Manchester United striker had until Monday to respond to the charges and now faces a hearing at the Football Association of England after manager Erik ten Hag confirmed he had challenged the charges.
Ronaldo was warned by police in August following an investigation into the incident, prompting the FA to launch its own investigation.
The incident followed United’s 1-0 defeat by Everton at Goodison Park in April while Ralf Rangnick was still acting manager at Old Trafford.
Ten Hag, Rangnick’s successor, announced on Wednesday that Ronaldo would contest the charges. “We talked about it, he won’t accept it,” he said.
Ronaldo faces ban if found to break FA Rule E3 on violent or inappropriate conduct.
Following the announcement of Ronaldo’s charge, an FA statement read: Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with breaching FA Rule E3 in an incident that took place after Manchester United FC’s Premier League match against Everton FC on Saturday 9th April 2017. April 2022 occurred.
“It is alleged that the striker’s behavior after the final whistle was inappropriate and/or violent.”
United promised to support Ronaldo. A club statement released last month said: “We take note of the FA’s announcement regarding Cristiano Ronaldo. We will support the player in response to the charges.”
Ronaldo has been just a backup player under Ten Hag this season, although Anthony Martial’s injury woes have paved the way for a return to United’s starting XI.
“I want to support [Ronaldo] as good as possible, so we have a certain demand on the players, what we expect from him in certain positions on the pitch and what I do, like with other players, is I want to get the best out of them,” Ten said hag .
“He’s coming into better form now and I’m happy with that, so he can contribute more to the squad and I’m sure he will do that. In the beginning it was definitely the case and it proved once again that nobody can miss pre-season.”