Roger Federer has admitted he was forced to announce his decision to retire after being told his news would leak.
On September 15, Federer announced that he will finally hang up his tennis racket after the Laver Cup in London, which takes place this Friday through Sunday.
Federer’s swan song at the O2 Arena comes after he has been absent from a tennis court since Wimbledon 2021 following a third knee operation thereafter.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion has exuded composure on the pitch throughout his career but was forced to stir up excitement last week after being told his upcoming retirement decision would be broadcast to the world without his approval.
Federer, who announced his decision via social media, told BBC Sport that he had to “mess up” a statement last Thursday afternoon after learning of an imminent leak this morning.
“They try to keep those moments private and hope there are no leaks,” he said.
“But apparently there were leaks on the morning of the announcement, so we made an effort to announce it earlier than planned.”