Friday, December 9, 2022

Latest Posts

Qatari officials disrupt Argentina’s TV coverage of the World Cup

Qatari officials disrupted a live Argentinian television broadcast at the 2022 Men’s World Cup.

A journalist for the show us in the morning was interviewing a disabled fan when local officials intervened and asked for official media accreditation.

“That’s the government of Qatar,” a moderator was heard saying in the Buenos Aires studio.

Journalist Joaquin Alvarez claims they then threatened to confiscate the team’s broadcasting equipment.

From the back of a car, the reporter later explained that he was told to leave the area where they were filming because it was private. “I was scared and thought they were going to arrest me,” he said.

“This is an example of severe censorship and we have to say that,” added his colleague Nicolas Magaldi.

It comes after other reported cases of Qatari officials censoring coverage of the World Cup.

Last week, an Irish journalist said he was stopped by Qatari police while filming coverage ahead of the tournament. Tony O’Donoghue told RTE how he was pulled over by police while filming a play on camera.

While RTE was covering the Republic of Ireland’s friendly against Norway – a game Ireland lost 2-1 – O’Donoghue explained the moment to the channel.

However, he said he believes the incident was due to poor communication between tournament organizers and security officials – rather than that the incident served as evidence of an “oppressive regime”.

An incident followed for which Qatari officials apologized after footage of a Danish camera crew “mistakenly interrupted” during a live broadcast went viral.

The tournament organizers later released a statement, which said: “After verifying the crew’s valid tournament accreditation and filming approval, on-site security apologized to the broadcaster before the crew resumed operations.”

Latest Posts

Don't Miss