Friday, December 2, 2022

Latest Posts

Man charged with murdering mother and two daughters after home fire

A man has been charged with the murder of a mother and her two daughters after a home fire in Nottingham.

Jamie Barrow, 31, is accused of murdering Fatoumatta Hydara, 28, and her daughters Fatimah Drammeh, three, and Naeemah Drammeh, one, after a fire at their home in Clifton, Nottinghamshire Police said.

Ms Hydara, 28, had been on life support after the fire at Fairisle Close, Clifton, which broke out around 3.15am on Sunday. The force said on Wednesday she later died from her injuries at Queen’s Medical Center.

Her two children were taken to the same hospital after the fire, but died shortly thereafter.

Officials said Barrow, from Fairisle Close, would be taken into custody overnight to appear at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

Deputy Chief Constable Rob Griffin of Nottinghamshire Police said: “Our thoughts go out to the family at this incredibly painful time, as well as to the communities affected by this most tragic of incidents.

“The grief this family has gone through is beyond comprehension.

“Major detective teams have worked tirelessly with specialized search units and forensic experts to understand the full circumstances behind this premeditated fire.

“Following this investigation, we have charged a suspect with triple murder. The family is aware of this development and I would like to sincerely thank them for their patience and understanding as we do what we can to seek justice for Fatoumatta, Fatimah and Naeemah.”

Earlier this week, police described the tragedy as an “extremely traumatic event” for the family, which includes the woman’s husband and the father of the two children.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Sinski said: “We are dealing with one of the most horrific crimes – the deaths of two young children and their mother. This is a deeply distressing tragedy and I can only imagine the pain for the family.”

Before news of Ms Hydara’s death broke, her husband, Aboubacarr Drammeh, said he was yet to “come to terms” with the deaths of their two children.

The 40-year-old, who arrived at the scene of the crime from the USA on Sunday, told The times: “I just mourn. I came here straight from the airport and am now going to the hospital to visit my wife.

“I don’t know what happened here. This is just so annoying. I haven’t started to come to terms with what happened.”

A local resident, who asked not to be named, was alerted by the lights of a fire truck while watching a movie and then saw smoke billowing from the rear windows of the first floor apartment.

He told reporters after Sunday’s fire that he saw “blue lights and smoke coming out of the upstairs windows.”

The eyewitness said the older child was taken out of the property first, with the one-year-old being carried out shortly afterwards by a lone firefighter.

The man estimated that CPR was then carried out on site for about 20 minutes, adding: “It was dark and raining and because of the smoke I couldn’t see what was happening behind the fire engine.

“It’s disgusting. I feel so sorry for the family. How will she feel when she finds out she lost the children?”

Latest Posts

Don't Miss