Monday, October 3, 2022

Latest Posts

‘Phantom of the Opera’ Broadway Shutdown Brings Tears and Cheers

The Phantom of the Opera, the longest-running show in Broadway history will end in February, an announcement that brought many tears and cheers from theatergoers.

The musical, composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber, has dropped ages on its guests since it opened in 1988 and has become a Broadway staple, the iconic Ghost Mask a symbol in the theater world. However, after its return from the pandemic, sources reported that the show was unable to sell well enough to continue.

According to New York Postwho broke the news of the show’s closure earlier on Friday, the show would be losing nearly $1 million a month, and the cast and crew were told on Friday that it was past the point of no -return.

In January, the show will commemorate 35 years on Broadway before its final performance on February 18, 2023, much to the dismay of many fans.

“I can’t imagine a world without The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway it will literally be the end of the world as we know it,” one Twitter user said.

“I have always thought phantom would run on Broadway forever,” wrote theater director Andrew Keates. “Literally, the end of an era.

“After being the longest-running show on Broadway, the The Phantom of the Opera is closing” says another. “It’s the theatrical equivalent of the Queen’s death.”

“[S]sorry but The Phantom of the Opera close on broadway is my last straw and i will become the prankster”, another The Phantom of the Opera keen wrote.

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is as old as me and it’s the show that made me obsessed with musicals,” another fan tweeted. “I guess I always thought it would always be a part of our lives, like death and taxes. This mask was pronounced with Broadway for me, what iconography will replace it?”

Others may not have been so saddened by the news. An user wrote“If you’re upset that The Phantom of the Opera closing soon on Broadway, you’ve had 35 years to see it. She’s been alive longer than me, let her rest!”

‘Look, I like’The Phantom of the Opera‘, but if it is true that it will close on Broadway, then good riddance”, another said. “I lost all respect for that production when they let James Barbour play the Phantom for 3 years *after* he was charged with statutory rape.”

Barbour pleaded guilty in 2008 to two misdemeanors involving a 15-year-old in 2001, then starred in the Broadway production of The Phantom of the Opera from February 2015 to December 2017.

Another user on Twitter wroteThe Phantom of the Opera finally close, God bless America.”

Despite the mixed reviews, the show has been seen on Broadway by 19.8 million people since 1988, according to data from the Broadway League, and a lot of people will be sad to see it go.

The show will, however, continue to air in other theatrical productions, including a new production in Australia which started last month and an upcoming Mandarin production which is set to open in China next year.

Pleasemynews contacted the Broadway League for comment.

Latest Posts

Don't Miss